Which satellite dish should I install on my RV?
This can be a difficult decision for RV customers. At Lichtsinn Motors, the closest dealership to Winnebago Industries, we have taken some time to help this process become much less confusing. Our Satellite 101 video, which can be viewed here: http://www.lichtsinn.com/satellite-finder/satellite-hd-sd-options, is a very good place to start when learning about satellite technologies that are available. Ron Lichtsinn and Ethan Cook, from Kingdome Technologies, helped answer numerous questions asked by current and future RV owners during last month’s Satellite 101 webcast.
When considering which satellite system is right for you, you should begin by asking yourself a few questions:
• Which satellite provider will I be using?
• What features are most important to me – HD programming, pay-as-you-go, ability to use while the RV is in motion, DVR capabilities, height clearance, etc.
• Which TVs in my RV do I want to be able to watch satellite programming on?
• How much have I budgeted for this convenience?
Answering these questions will help you to determine which type of a satellite system will best suit your needs. If you need assistance with these questions or have additional questions, do not hesitate to contact the experts in our Service and Sales Departments here at Lichtsinn Motors.
Here is a quick break down of the three primary satellite options available for RV users:
1. Manual: This is a very affordable way of obtaining roof-mounted satellite but does require a bit more effort in finding the strongest satellite signal position. This technology utilizes a digital elevation sensor that you will manually set once you are parked at your campsite. One of the disadvantages of a manual satellite is that you will not be able to obtain a high-definition (HD) signal.
• Pricing: These can be purchased and installed ranging from $600-800 depending on the model.
• Brands: Winegard RM-DM46 Crank-Up
2. In Motion: Get up-to-the-minute news, weather and sports while you drive to your next destination. An in-motion satellite dish provides you with the capability to view satellite programming while parked or on the go as you travel down the road in your RV. Dish Network users will be able to achieve HD viewing; however, DirecTV users will not.
• Pricing: These units can be purchased and installed for $2000-2200 depending on the model.
• Brands: RoadTrip Mission In-Motion Automatic, King-Dome In-Motion 3000 Series
3. Stationary Automatic: This satellite is mounted to the roof of the motorhome and automatically finds your satellite signal with a simple push of a button. These units are usually a domed shape; however, can be a more traditional looking satellite with the Winegard Trav’ler. Though the unit is larger and comes with a higher price tag, the Winegard Trav’ler provides the power of multi-satellite viewing and is the only satellite dish that will allow DirecTV users to achieve HD programming.
• Pricing: Stationary Automatic satellite systems can be purchased and installed for $1700-2500 depending on the model and capabilities.
• Brands: Domed RoadTrip Mission by Winegard, King-Dome Stationary Automatic by King Controls, Winegard Trav’ler SK-SWM3 DirecTV Slimline, Winegard Trav’ler SK-1000 Dish Network 1000 and Bell TV
4. Portable: This type of satellite is very easy to use and are typically placed outside the RV either on the ground or a small table. You can move the satellite with ease to attain the strongest satellite signal. All you have to do is plug into the exterior coax that is located in your storage compartment or exterior entertainment center. These units are available in both manual and automatic.
• Pricing: Portable satellites range from $300-700, depending on the model and capabilities.
• Brands: VuQube VQ1000 Portable Remote Controlled, VuQube FLEX Portable Automatic, Tailgater VQ2500 Portable Stationary Automatic, Winegard Carryout Automatic
One nice option that many Lichtsinn Motors customers take advantage of is the Dish Network pay-as-you-go program. This allows you to have satellite television without having to lock into a two year contract. With this program, you can pick and choose which months you would like to have your satellite programming active and only pay for those months rather than the entire year!
Here at Lichtsinn Motors, we install countless satellite systems each and every year and will gladly help assist you in the selection and installation of your satellite dish! Give us a call at 1-800-343-6255 or visit Lichtsinn.com.